How to Read Tarot with Playing Cards?
Are you interested in learning how to read tarot with playing cards? It’s a fascinating practice that can help you gain insight into your life and the lives of those around you. In this article, we will provide a step-by-step guide on reading tarot with playing cards. We will cover everything from the history of playing card divination to the meanings of each card. So, grab your deck of playing cards and let’s get started!
Understanding the Deck
Tarot reading with playing cards is a practice that has been around for centuries. It is believed that playing card divination originated in Europe during the 14th century. It was a method used by gypsies and fortune tellers to predict the future. While tarot cards have more intricate designs and illustrations, playing cards can be just as effective in giving insight into one’s life.
Before we dive into the specifics of tarot reading with playing cards, it’s essential to understand the deck’s structure. A standard deck of playing cards has 52 cards divided into four suits: hearts, diamonds, clubs, and spades. Each case has 13 cards, including a king, queen, jack, and ten through two. In a tarot reading with playing cards, these cards are given meanings that can be used to interpret a reading.
The deck suits each has meanings that can be applied to reading. Hearts represent emotions, love, and relationships. Diamonds represent money, wealth, and material possessions. Clubs represent work, career, and personal development. Spades represent challenges, setbacks, and obstacles.
The face cards of each suit also have their meanings. Kings represent authority, leadership, and ambition. Queens represent intuition, nurturing, and emotional intelligence. Jacks represent youthful energy, creativity, and inspiration.
Once you understand the deck, it’s time to learn about the different spreads that can be used in a reading. A space is how the cards are laid out on the table. There are many other spreads, but some of the most common include the three-card spread, the five-card spread, and the Celtic cross spread.
Interpreting the Cards
To begin a reading, shuffle the deck and focus your intention on the question you want to ask. Draw the cards and lay them out in the chosen spread. Each card will have a specific meaning that can be interpreted in the context of the question being asked.
Interpreting the cards is the most important part of tarot reading with playing cards. Each card has a specific meaning that can be applied to different areas of life. Here are some examples:
- Ace of Hearts: New Beginnings in Love and Relationships
- King of Diamonds: Financial Success and Wealth
- Queen of Clubs: A woman with strong leadership skills
- Jack of Spades: A young person facing challenges and obstacles
It’s important to remember that the meaning of each card can change depending on the context of the reading. For example, the Ace of Hearts could represent new beginnings in friendships or family relationships, not just romantic relationships.
Tips for Reading Tarot with Playing Cards
If you’re a beginner, there are a few tips you can follow to improve your reading. First, practice as often as you can. The more you practice, the better you will interpret the cards. Second, build your intuition by paying attention to your gut feelings and emotions while doing a reading. Finally, don’t be afraid to incorporate other divination tools, such as crystals or candles, into your practice.
What is fortune telling using playing cards?
Fortune telling using playing cards, also known as cartomancy, is an occult practice of seeking knowledge about the future through interpreting patterns formed by playing card suits and values. It is similar to tarot card reading but uses a standard 52-card deck instead.
While there are many different cartomancy techniques and variations, here are some of the general aspects:
• Suits: The four different suits (clubs, spades, hearts, and diamonds) each represent various aspects of life like work, relationships, health, and spirituality.
• Number Values: Each card number from Ace to King represents different attributes and meanings related to that suit. For example, the Ace of Hearts may express new love or relationships.
• Layouts: Various card layouts represent different questions or aspects of a person’s life and future. Standard forms include the Past-Present-Future spread, the Celtic Cross, and the Horseshoe applied.
• Interpretation: Card meanings are interpreted based on symbolic associations, position in the layout, and how they relate. The order, direction, and proximity of the cards matter.
• Divination: The card pattern is analyzed to gain information, insights, warnings, or predictions regarding a person’s future. The interpretation is given to the person seeking divination, often in the form of a fortune.
• Spirituality: Some fortune tellers using playing cards believe it taps into psychic abilities, while others see it as simply interpreting symbolic representations. Spiritual beliefs vary.
Can you read tarot with regular playing cards?
Yes, you can read tarot with a standard playing card deck! This practice is known as cartomancy, where the symbols and structure of a standard playing card deck are used for divination and insight.
While tarot decks have more extensive symbolism and imagery, playing cards have all the essential elements needed for a divination reading:
• Four suits – The four suits in a deck represent the significant aspects or categories of a person’s life – Spirit (Clubs), Mind (Spades), Emotions (Hearts), and Practical Matters (Diamonds).
• Court cards – The King, Queen, and Jack in each suit represent different personality types or influences that may be present.
• Numbered cards – Each numbered card from Ace to 10 carries its meaning and symbolism within a suit.
• Card layouts – Common tarot spreads, and layouts can still be used with playing cards, with some minor adjustments to account for the fewer cards in the deck.
The basic principles of tarot reading – using symbols, positioning, intuition, and interpretation – still apply when reading with playing cards. You have to develop your associations and meanings for the playing card symbols rather than using pre-existing tarot card meanings.
Some common ways cartomancy is practiced:
• French cartomancy – One of the oldest forms, where card positions represent different aspects of the Seeker’s life.
• Lenormand – Uses a 36-card deck and fixed symbol meanings to create a storytelling style of divination.
• Psycho cartomancy – Focuses on using cards to analyze a person’s personality and psychology.
What is tarot reading with playing cards?
Tarot reading with playing cards is a method of divination that uses a standard deck of playing cards to gain insight into one’s life and the future.
How does it differ from a traditional tarot reading?
Traditional tarot decks have more intricate designs and illustrations while playing cards have more straightforward methods. However, the meanings of the cards can be similar.
Can I use any deck of playing cards for a tarot reading?
Yes, you can use any standard deck of playing cards for tarot reading. However, it’s essential to have a basic understanding of the meanings of each card to interpret a reading accurately.
Do I need to be psychic to read tarot with playing cards?
No, you don’t need to be psychic to read tarot with playing cards. It’s a practice that can be learned and developed over time through trial and intuition.
Is tarot reading with playing cards accurate?
The accuracy of tarot reading with playing cards depends on the skill and intuition of the reader. With practice and a deep understanding of the meanings of each card, a reader can provide accurate and insightful readings.
In conclusion, tarot reading with playing cards is a fascinating practice that can provide insight into your life and the lives of those around you. With a basic understanding of the deck, the different spreads, and the meanings of each card, you can start doing readings for yourself and others. Remember to trust your intuition and have fun with it!